Wednesday, July 18, 2012

no bake peanut butter chocolate crispy bars


oh dear it's been a while since i've updated! probably because i pretty much never go on the computer at home anymore. i used to spend a ton of time on the computer so it's a weird shift i guess. i've become super obsessed with reading.


well i've always been a reader, but while i was in school i felt guilty for reading so would rarely read anything. but since i finished school last summer, got my ereader and discovered good reads, i have been devouring books like no other!


i read before work, on my breaks at work, after work, while in the car driving to the grocery store (with my husband driving of course, though i'd be lying if i told you that i've never thought about reading while being stuck in traffic on the highway coming home from work), and pretty much anywhere i can. i've read around 100 books in the last 9 months. (though i've also stopped watching as much tv as it gets in the way of my reading time!!)

now that the weather in vancouver is finally starting to feel like summer, i have to remind myself to put my ereader down and go out for a walk or hike.


i suppose these are a healthier rice crisp style bar (and are vegan), but when you can't stop eating them like me then they become less healthy?? i think ate most of the pan myself. i love the combination of peanut butter and chocolate and crunchiness from the rice crisps. this is a great summer treat because you don't have to turn on the oven and you eat them cold!

if these sound good, you might also like:
chocolate coconut snowballs
cocoa nibbles
peanut butter squares with milk chocolate and oats
marshmallow crunch brownie bars

no bake peanut butter chocolate crispy bars
adapted from oh she glows

makes 16 squares

1/2 cup all natural peanut butter
1/2 cup brown rice syrup
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/2 cup sifted cocoa powder
3 cups crisp rice cereal
1/2 cup non-dairy chocolate chips

fudge topping
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1 tsp coconut oil
1 cup all-natural peanut butter

prepare an 8 inch square pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil.

in a pot on the stove over low-medium heat, whisk together the brown rice syrup, vanilla, almond milk and cocoa powder. stir and heat until mixed and smooth.

put the rice crisps in a large bowl, and pour the brown rice syrup mixture over top. quickly stir together, then add the 1/2 cup chocolate chips. spread the mixture in the prepared pan. smooth and press down. put it in the freezer for at least 10 minutes.

make the fudge topping next. melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil in the microwave for 30 seconds. remove and stir. if not melted, microwave for another 15-30 seconds. remove and stir until smooth, then add in the peanut butter. stir until smooth.

remove the pan from the ferezer and pour the fudge over top, spreading evenly. put the pan in the refrigerator or freezer to firm up (about 45 minutes in the freezer or longer in the refrigerator). cut into squares.

13 comments:

Johanna GGG said...

Reading is one of life's luxuries - esp for me these days - love it but am always finding myself doing something else - blogging is partly to blame!

Agree with you on this slice - I made it and it still is one of my favourite things I have made this year but it is terribly moreish

janet @ the taste space said...

Wow - you DEVOUR books!! What are your favourite books?

Joanne said...

PB and chocolate is definitely one of my weaknesses! These look addictive.

Spencer said...

Looks absolutely delicious! I would so love to try some. I reckon I could eat the whole lot in 5 minutes flat.

kickpleat said...

This is something I'd totally love!! Yum to peanut butter and chocolate - and rice krispies. I love that it's a bit healthier than the regular version. I haven't tried brown rice syrup yet (must get me some!)

Madison @ Veggieful.com said...

This looks so delicious. I am craving something sweet right now and I wish I could eat this!

Also, I nominated you for the Beautiful Blogger Award :) check it out http://www.veggieful.com/2012/07/beautiful-blogger-award.html

Dana said...

These look amazing! And quick. Perfect for summer. I can't believe how many books you have read! I read a lot and quickly but not like that. I've missed seeing your friendly comments on my blog! :)

Unknown said...

I love bars like these. They look amazing. Welcome back to blogging :)

kylie @ immaeatthat said...

Okay, I'm missing three ingredients...but as soon as I get them I'm making these! Look to die for!

Nancy @ gottagetbaked said...

I CAN'T believe I haven't seen this post until today. These bars look sinfully good and I, like you, would've polished the whole pan off myself (and not let the guilt stop me from doing so either)! I also love reading and have been blitzing through them this summer. Nothing says rest and relaxation to me more than sitting on my couch, curled up in the sunshine, with a good book in my hands.

elizabeth said...

Do you have a link to your goodreads list? Winter is coming soon, I'm looking for book recommendations.

Unknown said...

This is one delicious bar

www.seaudecreme.blogspot.com

adam and theresa said...

I think this is the best of no bake bars I've ever seen. Will give them a go when we get back to London from India and can get the rice-syrup. You can't really substitute it as a binder, eh?