Thursday, April 5, 2012

Easy Indian Mung Beans


I call this picture "I'm tired of cooking all day and just want to document the food in the quickest way possible". I bought a bag of mung beans a couple of years ago but rarely use them as I don't see them often called for in recipes. I'm trying to make more of an effort to use what I have in my pantry so went searching for a mung bean recipe.

I was not expecting to enjoy this dish. It seemed so simple and too bean-y. But it was actually really good! And I'd make it again. I might even buy more mung beans to make it again and that's saying something.

To make up for my mung bean photo, check out my cute nails!!! My friend did these for me.



If this sounds good, you might also like:
Zucchini and Chickpea Pancakes
Lemon Curried Lentils and Potatoes
Dal Makhni
Pink Beans with a Cardamom-Yogurt Sauce

Easy Indian Mung Beans
Adapted from Radiant Health, Inner Wealth

Serves 4

1 cup dry mung beans
1 tbsp ginger, grated
1 tbsp coconut oil (or other oil)
1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 jalapeno, seeded and diced
3 cups water
1 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp lemon juice

In a large pot, put the mung beans, ginger, coconut oil, cumin, coriander, jalapeno and water. Bring to a boil, cover and then simmer for 45-50 minutes (or until beans are tender). Once tender, take off the heat and stir in the sea salt and lemon juice.

4 comments:

Joanne said...

beans are just majorly hard to photograph. that's a fact. but that doesn't mean they're not also majorly delicious! These sound great!

Bird and Boy Photography said...

Your nails look so cute! Hehe

I absolutely love your site. I just started a vegan blog to track my cooking adventures and I will definitely try heaps of your recipes and link back to you :)

Johanna GGG said...

I don't buy mung beans because I don't know what to do with them - I think I have seen them in Lisa's Kitchen recipes!

Love love love your nails - so cute

witchgoddess_611@hotmail.com said...

I got to your blog, when I was searching what was vermicelli made of. I love mung bean soup sauteed with shrimp, with/without coconut milk. To which you can also add vermicelli. It's just simple everyday fare. You can bake with mung beans sweetened in buns. You can boil it till soft, add ice and condensed milk. Yum! I like nail art too... acrylic or gel nails. Be well!