Saturday, March 10, 2012

Latin Shredded Seitan


E really liked this seitan dish, which is saying a lot because he's not a huge fan of meat substitutes (though lucky for me he will eat them happily enough). I liked it too, but not as much as him. It's a great way to flavour up some seitan - with garlic, onion, bell pepper, cumin, wine and tomatoes.

If you have Viva Vegan!, please comment and let me know which dishes from it you loved or didn't like. I've only made a few things from it (like these empanadas) but want to make more.

If this sounds good, you might also like:
Shredded Seitan and Mushroom Empanadas with Raisins and Olives
Udon Noodles with Peanut Sauce and Seitan
Baked Seitan
Seitan Black Bean Corn Burgers

Latin Shredded Seitan
Adapted from Viva Vegan!

Serves 4 (with rice and another vegetable)

1/2 recipe (two loaves) Steamed Red Seitan
1 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
1 small red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into thin strips
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 cup red wine
3 roma tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground blac pepper

Slice the seitan as thinly as you can, then stack a few slices together at a time and chop the seitan into thin slivers.

In a large pan over medium heat, add the olive oil and garlic. Cook until the garlic sizzles, about 30 seconds. Add the onion and bell pepper, stirring occasionally, and cooking until the onion is soft and translucent, about 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in the cumin, cook for 1 minute. Stir in the wine and tomato. Stir in the seitan, coating the seitan with the sauce. Simmer for 12 to 14 minutes. The seitan should look juicy, so if starts to look dry, add more wine or tomato. Season with salt and pepper.

6 comments:

janet @ the taste space said...

Hey Ashley,

From Viva Vegan, I liked the Portobello feijoada, Quinoa corn chowder with limas and aji, and Potato kale soup with sizzling chorizo (the chorizo is really good!). The sweet potato tamale filling is very good too although I used Tess' tamale batter. ;)

Joanne said...

So I'm totally a bad vegetarian because I've never ever made seitan! Shame on me. This is kind of making me want to give it a try though!

Hannah said...

I've actually had the remnants of a bottle of red wine sitting around in my fridge for ages- Probably months, no exaggeration- So this would be a fantastic way to finally finish it. Looks good!

Johanna GGG said...

good to hear that E liked it because I too am not much of a fan of seitan but if it is home made I am probably more open to it

Katerina said...

This is a delicious vegan meal and cumin adds so much flavor in it! You have a lovely blog with beautiful recipes!

Mel said...

I like this recipe but I usually make the variation that has some chipotles in it to make it spicier. Other favourites from Viva Vegan are; Peruvian seitan and potato skewers, potato-chickpea enchiladas with tomatillo sauce, seitan saltado, tortilla casserole and tofu chicharrones. The recipe I adore and make the most is the cashew crema as we love it as a sour cream replacement.