Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Cashew Korma

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was starting a running program. Well we're halfway through week 3! And I love it. I love running and my knee has been okay so far. I really really hope it continues this way. I've also recently realized that while I did enjoy doing yoga when I wasn't working and had lots of time, now that I have much more limited time for exercising, I'd rather run.


Entertaining for a Veggie Planet is one of the first vegetarian cookbooks I bought, though I haven't used it much in the last few years. I started to go through it again recently and found lots of recipes that caught my eye like this cashew korma.

I LOVE cashews in meals (though not as snacks), and the cashews here are combined with my new favourite vegetable kohlrabi - as well as eggplant, tomatoes and yogurt. Some of the cashews are ground and used to thicken the dish and make it creamy. It was such an intriguing sounding meal and it did not disappoint. I really enjoyed the combination of vegetables and creamy cashew sauce.

If this sounds good, you might also like:
Dal Makhni
Quick Vegan Tomato Basil Craem Pasta
Zucchini and Chickpea Pancakes
Sweet and Spicy Cashew Tofu

Cashew Korma
Adapted from Entertaining for a Veggie Planet

Serves 4

3/4 cup dry brown rice, cooked in 1 3/4 cups water
3/4 cup cashew halves
1 tbsp canola oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 tsp ground cardamom
1 Asian eggplant, cut into half moons
2 cups kohlrabi, 1/2" cubes
3 roma tomatoes, 1/2" cubes
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tsp garam masala
1 1/2 cups plain 2% yogurt
1/2 tsp salt

Cook the rice in a rice cooker or on the stove.

Preheat oven to 350F. Spread the cashews on a baking sheet and toast for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool then grind 1/2 cup of the cashews in a food processor. Keep the ground cashew and whole cashews separate.

In a large pan, heat the oil over medium. Add the onion and saute, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 7 minutes. Add the cardamom and stir for 1 to 2 minutes.

Add the ground cashews, eggplant, kohlrabi, tomatoes and garlic, and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 1/2 cup water, cover, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to the lowest setting and stir in the garam masala, salt and yogurt, stirring until heated through. Don't let the mixture boil or the yogurt will curdle.

Serve the korma over hot rice, garnished the cashew halves.

9 comments:

janet @ the taste space said...

I love rediscovering old cookbooks. I find my tastes change so I start to bookmark different recipes. :)

I discovered kohlrabi last year and loved it raw! I don't remember ever cooking it, though - I will have to try that next time. :)

Hannah said...

That recipe caught my eye as soon as I bought the book, too, since I also adore cashew-filled main dishes! I'd better stop wasting time and get to making this beauty already- Sounds perfectly warming for a chilly day. :)

Eileen said...

Yes! This is what should happen with the gigantic bag of cashews in our freezer! :) I LOVE korma.

Joanne said...

I am SO glad to hear the running's going well! I would always rather run. Always. No matter what I'm doing. It's an illness. :P

This korma sounds delicious! I want it as soon as possible!

Maureen said...

This sounds really good. Can't wait to try it.

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

Great to hear that you are doing good with your running program. The weather must be on your side.

Rachel said...

Yay running! There is something so liberating about being to just run out the door and get your exercise in.
Your korma looks gooood - just the kind of dinner I'd like to ear after a run, actually.

XL @ 6 Bittersweets said...

Oh yum! I'm really curious about the kohlrabi...never had that in a curry before :).

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the cashews, I love them in dishes but not fan of just snacking on them. That korma looks incredible creamy and delicious!