Monday, January 16, 2012

Asian Inspired Napa Cabbage Slaw

WE HAVE SNOW! I'm torn between wanting lots more snow, and not wanting too much snow that it makes the roads dangerous for driving. So maybe the best thing to hope for is so much snow that you can't even drive!


I didn't grow up eating cabbage very often, but I really love it now. My favourite way to eat it is stir fried but I also really like it when thinly sliced for a salad like this.

This recipes goes all the way back to my CSA last summer where I received a head of napa cabbage and had no idea what to do with it. Of course I could have stir fried it but I wanted to see what other options were out there. A quick search landed me on Ricki's blog. The Asian inspired dressing (with soy sauce, sesame oil, onion, garlic, sugar, and vinegar) and fun mix of vegetables (cabbage, carrots, edamame) and seeds (sunflower seeds, sesame seeds) was as delicious as I'd hoped.

If this sounds good, you might also like:
Tamarind Tofu Cabbage Bowl
Last Minute Sesame Noodles
Indian Stir Fried Cabbage
Broccoli Slaw

Asian Inspired Napa Cabbage Slaw
Adapted from Diet Dessert n Dogs

Serves 6

Base:
1 medium napa cabbage, washed, trimmed, and sliced thinly on the diagonal
1 cup shelled edamame, cooked
5 small carrots, grated
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup sesame seeds

Dressing:
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup raw cane sugar
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
1 very small onion, grated on the finest holes of your grater (it should almost liquefy)
1 clove garlic, minced

In a large bowl, mix the cabbage, edamame, carrots, sunflower seeds, and sesame seeds.

In a smaller bowl, combine the dressing ingredients and whisk to mix well. Pour over salad and toss to coat.

11 comments:

Amy said...

We finally have snow, too, and I'm pretty happy about it. I'm loving cabbage lately and your salad looks so fresh and bright!

Joanne said...

I hate mayo in any and all recipes, so I'm loving this Asian play on coleslaw! That salty dressing would make me so happy paired with the cabbage crunch!

kickpleat said...

I love all kinds of coleslaw and I probably made a ton of similar versions this summer & fall too (thanks to the csa).

Johanna GGG said...

sounds great - I am still a bit unsure about what napa cabbage is - not sure if it goes by a different name in Australia but need to find out one of these days

janet @ the taste space said...

I love how we both posted a cabbage salad today! I've been eating at a Napa cabbage for the past month! I bought 2 when they were 9c/lb. One went to kimchi and the other has slowly been consumed, leaf by leaf. ;) This looks like a nice Asian twist!

Wendy said...

HAHA I juuust bought napa cabbage yesterday for the first time and thought to myself, "wtf am I going to do with this!?" Thank you for this idea!

Eileen said...

SNOW! Yay! I am just about as jealous of your snow as I am of that excellent-looking slaw--maybe I should venture forth for some Napa.

Jess said...

yum! love a good asian slaw like this! how much snow did you guys get out there in vancouver? we're mid-storm right now with about 15-20 cm on the way :)

eatme_delicious said...

jess: in metro vancouver there isn't a ton, just a few cm. but out in the fraser valley there's a lot more (40 cm) which is where i work and i think more will be coming!

Hannah said...

Quite honestly I'm glad we only got a dusting of snow, and am not looking forward to getting any more. I used to love it, but now that I don't get snow days and have to worry about driving, it' a totally different thing!

The salad looks great though... I often struggle with using up the remnants of cabbage after a recipe that only calls for half a head, so this will come in handy.

test it comm said...

I am liking the flavours in this slaw!