Monday, December 12, 2011

Scalloped Tomatoes with Croutons

I started a new job last week which I'm super excited about! I have a long commute - about 3 hours total a day - so I plan to try and cook and prepare as much as I can for the week on Sundays. I figure with some organization I should still be able to easily have healthy home cooked meals, and have time to exercise on week nights too. Anyway, I just wanted to share my news. :)


I made this in the summer when we had an abundance of amazing tomatoes from our CSA. I know tomatoes aren't in season now but I think it'd still be delicious, and would be a great addition to a big family meal. Or something comforting and warm to eat at home. The garlic, basil and Parmesan cheese make this tomato bread dish into something really flavourful. I found it quite rich and strong tasting, which was great, but it's definitely best eaten alongside something else like a salad.

If this sounds good, you might also like:
Tomato Corn Pie
Pan-Roasted Cauliflower
Tarragon Pecan Asparagus
Cauliflower Gratin

Scalloped Tomatoes with Croutons
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen who adapted from Ina Garten

3 tablespoons olive oil
4 slices whole grain bread (I used Silver Hills), cut into 1/2" pieces
2 1/2 pounds tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice
3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup thinly slivered basil leaves, lightly packed
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium. Add the bread cubes and stir so that they are evenly coated with oil. Cook cubes, tossing frequently, until toasty on all sides, about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine tomatoes, garlic, sugar, salt and pepper in a large bowl. When the bread cubes are toasted, add the tomato mixture and cook them together, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in the basil. Pour into a shallow (6 to 8 cup) baking dish and top with Parmesan cheese. Bake 35 to 40 minutes until the top is browned and the tomatoes are bubbly. Serve hot or warm.

9 comments:

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

Wow that does look rich-would never imagine scalloping tomatoes before. A novel dish!

Kristin (Book Sniffers Anonymous) said...

Congrats on the new job. I really need to work on make ahead meals on the days that I work. By the time I come home the last thing I want to do is slave over the stove and cook. This sounds really good. I will have to give it a try.

Eileen said...

Ok, that is an insane commute--I hope it's at least via public trans so you can get something done! I remember seeing this gratin recipe on Smitten, & mentally queued it, but never actually got around to making it. Your version looks great!

Joanne said...

Yay on the new job! I totally think if you plan for it, you can definitely keep up with all the things you want to!

These scalloped tomatoes look delicious! SO much cheesy goodness!

Johanna GGG said...

good luck with your new job - I've done that sort of commute before but when I had no life and I had someone else to cook for me (paying off travel debts) but I don't fancy doing it again except when I wish for more reading time!

The bake sounds interesting - I think I would love it with butter pasta and some plain green veg like broccoli

3goodrats said...

Congrats on your new job? What is it and where are you commuting to? I love casseroles and that one looks very tasty!

Neomi said...

I'm a reader from seattle who really enjoys your blog and friendly posts and I just want to congratulate you on your new job!!

The 1.5 hour commute sounds grueling but I did it for a couple of years while I lived in queens and commuted to Manhattan. Esp. if it's with public transportion where you can read/relax a bit. And it's very doable to eat normally with some planning for meals/chores. (After kids I fizzled out but that's another story...) Good luck and I hope you love the new job!!

eatme_delicious said...

Thanks everyone! :)

Neomi: Thanks! :) I wish I was taking public transit and could read or something on the way but unfortunately I have to drive. :( I'm going to download podcasts to listen to though.

test it comm said...

I really like the sound of scalloped tomatoes!