Thursday, November 24, 2011

Peanut Butter Rice Crisp Treats


These are a great alternative to the traditional rice crispy treats made with marshmallows. Though I must admit that seeing the box of red and green rice crispies does make me want to buy them. But I know I'd be much happier eating these healthier tastier treats. When I made these, I omitted the salt and didn't feel like it was missing anything. But I know that sweet treats often do need a bit of salt so if you want you can add that 1/2 tsp of salt (or maybe 1/4 tsp would be better).

If you guys are into tea at all or know someone who is, I highly recommend checking out David's Tea Advent Calendar!! I had to pick one up for myself. I'm a tea addict and can't wait for December 1 to open my first tea door. (Updated Nov 25: Oops sorry I didn't realize this was sold out already. :( I should have posted about it sooner. Maybe they have some in stores though?)

If this sounds good, you might also like:
Granola Bars
Cocoa Nibbles
Coconut Raspberry Walnut Power Bars
5 Minute Chocolate Peanut Butter Chews

Peanut Butter Rice Crisp Treats
Adapted from Oh She Glows

1/2 cup chunky almond butter
1/2 cup brown rice syrup
1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 tbsp Earth Balance
3 1/2 cups brown rice crisp cereal
Chocolate drizzle: 1/3 cup chocolate chips + 1 tbsp peanut butter
Shredded coconut, to garnish

1. Prepare an 8 inch by 8 inch square pan, by lining it with parchment paper on both sides.

2. In a large pot over low-medium heat, add the brown rice syrup, Earth Balance, and peanut butter. Stir well until combined and heated through. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.

3. Stir in rice crisp cereal until thoroughly combined.

4. Scoop into pan and spread evenly. Press down with fingers or roll flat with pastry roller. Place in freezer to set for 5 minutes while you make the chocolate glaze.

5. In a microwave safe bowl, add the chocolate chips. Microwave for about 60 seconds, stirring after 30 seconds. Be careful not to burn. Stir in the peanut butter.

6. Remove pan from freezer and drizzle or spread with melted chocolate mixture. Sprinkle with coconut and place in the freezer until firm, about 15 minutes. Slice into squares. Bars will hold their shape quite well at room temperature, but you can store in the fridge to ensure the chocolate stays solid.

5 comments:

Hannah said...

What an awesome advent calender, I want one too! So sad it's already sold out. :(

janet @ the taste space said...

That tea calendar sounds amazing!! :) What a neato gift idea. :)

Joanne said...

I really feel like putting peanut butter in anything makes it a gazillion times better. What great treats!

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I saw it on Oh She Glows, they look delicious.

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

PB and chocolate are just perfect together in all sorts of treats -- love this crispy snack :).