Monday, November 28, 2011

Asian Kale Salad


The first time I made this salad I thought it was perfect. The second time, I found the dressing a bit strong. I think I just had more kale the first time so it may be best to err on the side of densely packing the kale when measuring (versus lightly packing). The dressing is full of flavour with lime juice, toasted sesame oil, orange juice, garlic, ginger and sesame seeds.

If this sounds good, you might also like:
Know Your Roots Salad
Apple Fennel Celery Salad
Mediterranean Couscous and Lentil Salad
Broccoli Slaw

Asian Kale Salad
Adapted from The Two-Week Wellness Solution

Serves 3

6 cups kale (lightly packed), washed well and drained (about 1 1/2 bunches)
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
4 tsp agave nectar
1 tbsp orange juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp minced ginger
1 tbsp sesame seeds
1/4 tsp sea salt

1. Remove the stems from the kale and chop the kale leaves into thin ribbons. Place in a large bowl.

2. Add the lime juice, sesame oil, agave nectar, and orange juice. Using your hands, stir well to combine. Continue to work the liquids into the kale with your hands - "massaging" the marinade into the kale. Once the kale turns a darker shade of green and is softened, you're done.

3. Add the remaining ingredients to the kale mixture and stir well.

12 comments:

janet @ the taste space said...

I love this salad, too! I've added edamame to make it more meal-worthy. :)

Mini Baker said...

i've grown to love kale! have you tried kale chips?! sooo yummy!

eatme_delicious said...

Mini Baker: Yea I have tried kale chips, they're good! :)

Joanne said...

I love all of the flavors in that dressing! Definite want.

Johanna GGG said...

what sort of kale did you use - I can't come at the idea of raw kale salad but maybe it is because I have only found black or tuscan kale here

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

The ingredients for the dressing sound great! Thanks for the tip about adding more kale.

eatme_delicious said...

Johanna: I think I used kale from my CSA, so there might have been some black/Tuscan kale. But most likely it was the regular curly leaf one. Once you massage the dressing into it, I think it would be similar?

Ricki said...

I've got Tess's book and I've never tried this salad! Always looking for new ways to use kale--glad this is a recommendation!

kickpleat said...

I've made raw kale salad but never massaged the dressing into the leaves. Curious to try this!

mjskit said...

Massaged kale salads have become my favorite! I love your recipe! I have kale in the fridge now, so I know what I'm making tomorrow night. Thanks!

Amee said...

This looks wonderful. I love ideas on Kale. So far i only make kale chips and use kale in my minestrone...and that's it. This is perfect! oh and the blogger from Cooking on the Weekends (Valentina) makes Kale pesto. This salad is a great recipe and i love the asian-y flavors in it!

eatme_delicious said...

RFR: Kale pesto sounds fantastic!!! Thanks for the idea. :)