Thursday, October 27, 2011

Pasta with French Lentils and Kale


I love all the stuff in this pasta dish, but especially the lentils and kale. I didn't expect much of this recipe, but I was looking for a recipe to use up kale so thought I'd try it. And it's actually quite good for such a simple and healthy recipe.


I know I've mentioned before that sometimes when I look back at the food I've photographed for the blog, I can't remember what some of it is. Drives me crazy. It only took me 4 years to figure out a better system! I'm now keeping a notepad file where I write all of my meals to blog about and the date, as I make them. I have no idea what this dish above is. And since it was both not very memorable and doesn't look that appetizing, I guess that's no real loss. My best guess is that it's Thai red curry, from The Moosewood Restaurant Cooking for Health.

If this sounds good, you might also like:
Lime Peanut Noodles with Seitan and Kale
Spaghetti and Beanballs with Onion & Roasted Garlic Tomato Sauce
Artichoke Rotini Pasta
Fresh Pear and Curry Pasta

Pasta with French Lentils and Kale
Adapted from The Moosewood Restaurant Cooking for Health

Serves 4

1 cup French green lentils (or other lentils)
3 cups water
8 oz chunky-shaped whole grain pasta
3 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp salt
1 cup diced carrots
1/2 tsp paprika or smoked paprika
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
4 cups chopped kale
2 tsp dried thyme
2 cups diced fresh tomatoes
Ground black pepper

1. In a covered saucepan, bring the lentils and water to a simmer. Cook covered until tender but firm, about 20 minutes. Drain, cover, and set aside.

2. Meanwhile, bring a large covered pot of water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente. Reserve about a cup of the pasta cooking liquid, and drain.

3. While the pasta cooks, in a skillet on medium heat, warm the oil. Add the onions and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring now and then, until softened. Add the garlic and salt, and cook until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the carrots, paprika, and red pepper flakes and cook until the carrots are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the kale and about 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta cooking water and cook until the kale is tender, adding more water if needed. Stir in the thyme and tomatoes and remove from the heat.

4. In a serving bowl, toss together the cooked lentils, the pasta, and the vegetables. Add salt and pepper to taste.

10 comments:

Staci said...

This looks hearty and wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

janet @ the taste space said...

Lentils and pasta sound like an interesting combination... anything with kale is a winner for me. :)

I also have a similar system now for my meals... I hate when I forget about the meal so I jot down notes after I eat it for future reference. :)

Joanne said...

I try to label the photos in a folder on my computer with the recipe...otherwise I'd be lost indefinitely. Love lentils and kale...in any dish they're in. This looks great!

Yogi Kitchen said...

good to have a pasta which has some protein and nutrition in it as well as pasta - which is always good ; )
Thanks for this idea

Hannah said...

Looks wonderful! I don't often combine lentils with pasta, but now I can't think of a good reason why that is. I'll start here! :)

Eileen said...

Wow, that looks uncannily like the lentil/kale soup I made the other night! I will have to try it with pasta too...

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I like French lentils. I find that they have a distinct taste. To remember what I photograph I usually open a folder for each recipe that I make and put the pictures in that folder.

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

Oh this is perfect! I have a bag of french lentils that've been sitting too long in the pantry -- now I know what they're gonna be used for :).

Amee said...

haha! funny - i'm not the best about documenting either. are these lentils different from Puy lentils?

eatme_delicious said...

RFR: Nope same lentils. :)