Saturday, September 3, 2011

Lettuce Wraps with Hoisin-Mustard Tofu


I've been cooking a ton from Appetite for Reduction recently. So many of the recipes appeal to me so I wouldn't be surprised if I slowly work my way through making every single recipe. Some of the things I've made have been outstanding, like the black bean, zucchini & olive tacos with garlic-lemon yogurt and others have been just okay. Overall though I'm really enjoying this book. These lettuce wraps fall under the outstanding category. E thought the mustard in it was a bit weird, but I loved the strong flavours and must admit that eating tofu in a lettuce wrap was really fun. I love the cold crunch combined with the warm tofu mixture inside.

It's taken me forever but here are some of my favourite photos from our wedding last January. :) Our wedding photos were taken by Randal Kurt. If you haven't seen our 5 minute wedding video and are interested, you can check it out here.

















If this sounds good, you might also like:
Orange Sesame Tofu & Coconut-Lime Basmati Rice
Sweet and Spicy Cashew Tofu
Broccoli Cashew Teriyaki Tofu Stir-Fry
Salt and Pepper Tofu

Lettuce Wraps with Hoisin-Mustard Tofu
Adapted from Appetite for Reduction

Tofu
1 block (~14 oz) extra firm tofu, diced in 1/2 inch pieces
2 tsp reduced sodium soy sauce

Sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced small
1 small onion, diced small
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
3 tbsp seasoned rice vinegar (mirin is recommended but I didn't have it)
2 tbsp hoisin sauce
2 tsp prepared yellow mustard

To Serve
About 12 iceberg lettuce leaves

Prepare the tofu: Preheat a cast-iron or heavy-bottomed nonstick skillet over medium heat.
Add the tofu and cook for about 10 minutes, flipping it once in a while, until it is browned on most sides. About midway through, drizzle with the soy sauce and toss to coat.

Preheat a separate large pan over medium heat with the sesame oil. Saute the red pepper, onion, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes. Cook for about 10 minutes. The veggies should be soft and browned. Add the seasoned rice vinegar (or mirin) and let cook for about 3 minutes. Add the hoisin and mustard, and cook for another minute.

Add the tofu to the sauce and toss to coat. Serve alongside lettuce leaves, to stuff like tacos.

17 comments:

Adam and Theresa said...

lovely photos of your wedding. Nice to see Burrard Bridge (?) in the snowy background too. Have you enjoyed Appetite for Reduction? I have to say I haven't found it as good as Vegan with a Vengeance. I think there was one Paella recipe I wanted to try though..

Joanne said...

Your wedding photos are gorgeous! You look beautiful!

And these lettuce wraps - super delicious! Tons of flavor and so healthy.

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I love your pictures, you look beautiful.

Jabba said...

Okay, you got married in January in Vancouver and had THAT nice a day to get shots outside! Lucky girl!!
I got married in Vancouver in AUGUST and had serious worries about the weather....

I love lettuce wraps, the only thing bad about them is they can be messy. Maybe it's because I always over stuff mine!

Anonymous said...

You picked my favorites too!!

janet @ the taste space said...

Gorgeous photos, Ashley!

I made the tofu wraps, too, and added enoki mushrooms. I found this recipe was quite mustard heavy when I had a hankering for something more hoisin-y. Still tasty, but I liked this tofu hoisin more.

Brooke said...

Oh, Ashley, your wedding photos are absolutely divine. LOVE them!

Those lettuce wraps look fantastic, too. Will definitely have to give them a try :-)

Deborah said...

Oh my - GORGEOUS photos!! You are a stunning bride! And I love the sound of those lettuce wraps. I'm a mustard fan, so I think I'd love them.

Anonymous said...

the photos are stunning!

Johanna GGG said...

beautiful photos - I was going to choose my favourite but there are too many great ones - hope you are still enjoying married bliss - bet the wedding seems miles away

I thought about buying appetite for reduction but couldn't quite appreciate the actual pages and so I passed it by - but am still seeing interesting recipes that make me wonder if I should go back

Anonymous said...

I just got this book too, at a going-out-of-business sale. I am actually pretty impressed! I am stoked on the recipes, and the mustard tofu was one I wanted to try. Thanks for sharing ;)

kickpleat said...

Gorgeous photos, congrats again :) Love the bridge shot. As for the wraps, they look so yummy and I'll totally be trying this recipe since I've got a lot of lettuce to use up from our csa.

Mel said...

Such gorgeous photos, you look stunning and what a happy couple!

I have been enjoying Appetite for Reduction but haven't tried any of the salad recipes yet as it's been too cold over here. I did bookmark this one as it sounds pretty good. Have made about half of the soup recipes and liked them all apart from one.

Amee said...

you look stunning!! really you do! and what a handsome catch you have!

Xiaolu said...

You look stunning and I love your shrug! Congrats to you both -- what a lovely couple =D. These wraps sound and look great, too. I would be money that I'd agree with you about the mustard.

Hannah said...

Those wedding photos are so, so beautiful! You look positively stunning, my dear. :)

Sarah S. said...

These lettuce wraps are my absolute face from Appetite for Reduction. I've made them over and over again. I really like the curried tofu and buffalo tempeh, also.

Love your wedding photos and video (somehow I missed that before)! I am just about 3 weeks away from my wedding day now, eek!! :)