Thursday, August 18, 2011

Quinoa Corn Salad


Is anyone else currently obsessed with any and all forms of salad like I am?


I actually eat quinoa fairly regularly, so it's odd that I don't have a single recipe on my blog with quinoa. Usually I just use it in place of rice rather than doing something special with it, like this salad. This salad is full of flavour with corn (can never get enough corn in the summer!), red onion, jalapeno, red pepper, cilantro, green onions, lemon and lime. I actually made this salad long before corn was in season and used frozen corn, so either fresh or frozen would be good here.

I'm submitting this to Ricki's Wellness Weekends.


If this sounds good, you might also like:
Meditteranean Pepper Salad
Broccoli Slaw
Last Minute Sesame Noodles
Orzo Salad with Chickpeas, Dill and Lemon

Quinoa Corn Salad
Adapted from Rebar: Modern Food Cookbook

I added 1 tbsp oil to the original recipe but it's not necessary if you don't want to add it.

1 cup dry quinoa
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 tsp salt

2 1/2 cups corn, fresh or frozen
1 small red onion, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
1 red pepper, finely diced
3 tbsp lemon juice
3 tbsp lime juice
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup green onion, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp oil (optional)

1. Bring water to boil in a small pot, add the quinoa and salt and bring to a boil again. Cover and reduce heat to low for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and keep the pot covered for an additional 5 minutes. Strain off any excess liquid and set aside to cool.

2. Steam or lightly saute corn until just tender and cool to room temperature. Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and gently toss. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve with fresh lime wedges.

12 comments:

raquel erecipe said...

wow I love the photos and the vegetable is so colorful...cute

Adam and Theresa said...

That Rebar book is a classic. I was always a little disappointed when we ate there though. You? Have you seen Peter Berley's Quinoa salad by the way? I can vouch that it's a real winner for us.

Ricki said...

This looks fabulous! I love the combo of quinoa and corn. And so fresh! And if I may be so bold. . . this would be a perfect submission to my Wellness Weekend event this week! :D

Ricki said...

Yay! Thanks for posting it :) And as opposed to Adam and Teresa up there, I wasn't a fan of Berley's salad. Yours sounds much better.

Hannah said...

Yes! I think that about 90% of everything I eat could be some variety of "salad"- A salad can be anything, really.

Quinoa and corn are such a good pairing, and a great way to get the most out of summer corn. :)

Joanne said...

I almost always use quinoa in place of rice because it cooks so much faster and has some really great added protein! This sounds like one tasty salad...just the kind of thing I'd love to take for lunch!

Johanna GGG said...

I have quinoa at the back of the cupboard - spied it while rustling for something else lately - must dig it out - though I am waiting for spring to feel more like salads again

Emilie said...

Looks delicious! I thought at first it was the quinoa salad that I made this weekend. My husband and I are in love with quinoa salad and he fights me for leftovers. Our recipe is very similar, but sweeter instead of spicy. I'll have to give yours a try someday. Here's our recipe if you'd like to look at it: http://lcem.org/recipedisplay.php?filename=php-bin/recipes/r1233415885.txt (it is on my parents' church website)

grace said...

i'm loving quinoa, and i have to compliment you on the most colorful and appetizing salad i've seen in a long time!

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

I love corn salads in summer -- this looks great and so good for you!

janet @ the taste space said...

I actually bought Rebar based on your high praises but haven't made anything from it just yet. But I made this tonight, so I am glad you pointed me in its direction. A seriously yummy quinoa salad. :)

janet @ the taste space said...

Here's my post, Ashley.. Yum!

http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2011/09/12/lime-cilantro-quinoa-corn-salad/