Friday, August 5, 2011

Perfectly Crunchy Granola


I've made this granola many times. The first for my mom's birthday, the second time when Janet came to visit, and again this past weekend because I just wanted it. It's crunchy and flavourful, and most importantly it clumps up as a good granola should (and only has 1 tbsp oil). Each time I've made it I've changed a few things and it's turned out well every time! Agave instead of brown sugar seems to make it more crispy. Subbing fruit juice for applesauce doesn't make much of a difference. Sometimes I add more cinnamon, the last time I added more oats and less nuts. And I don't add dried fruit if I'm making it for myself because I'm not a big dried fruit fan.


If this sounds good, you might like:
Coconut Raspberry Walnut Power Bars
Granola Bars
Caramel Walnut Chocolate Chunk Granola
Low-Fat Winter Fruit Granola


Perfectly Crunchy Granola
Adapted from Oh She Glows

Yield: ~6 cups

Dry
3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup raw almonds, roughly chopped
1/2 cup raw walnuts, roughly chopped
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
1/2 cup raw sesame seeds
2 tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp kosher salt

Wet
4 tbsp brown rice syrup
1 tbsp agave nectar
1 tbsp coconut oil OR other oil
2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce OR fruit juice
2 tbsp peanut butter
1/3 cup packed brown sugar

Optional add-in
2/3 cup dried fruit (ex. cranberries, raisins, dates, apricots)

In a medium pot over medium heat, add the wet ingredients. Stir well. Bring to a boil and then simmer on low for 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently.

In a very large mixing bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.

Add the wet mixture (while still warm!) over top the dry mixture and stir well. It will be very thick and hard to stir, but keep at it until everything is thoroughly combined.

Spread onto a pan lined with parchment paper or a non-stick mat and bake in the oven at 300F for 45 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven every 15 minutes and give the granola a good stir to ensure even baking.

Allow to cool for 20-25 minutes on the pan before serving. The granola will stiffen up as it cools. Once the granola cools, add the dried fruit (if using).

11 comments:

Joanne said...

Love you, love Janet, and love this granola!

janet @ the taste space said...

ooh.. this was super addictive! i remember finishing it in like 2 days. ;) thanks again for the wonderful treat, Ashley! :)

Hannah said...

The best granola is crunchy, clumpy, and pretty much just like this! It looks wonderful, and not too sweet which is a serious problem with most recipes. Consider it saved for a rainy day. :)

Johanna GGG said...

I love the sound of this - have just bought some muesli for the first time in ages but really if I am back on the muesli wagon I should try making my own again

Eileen said...

Granola always seems like a good idea, especially for portable snacks, but somehow I never make it. Clearly I must remedy this immediately!

Adam and Theresa said...

We make it at Yogi Kicthen pretty much every week and I'm always looking for new ways to experiment with it. Thanks! Have you ever tried making it with Olive Oil by the way? It works pretty well, giving a very good crunch whilst being relatively healthful.

Anonymous said...

What temperature oven?

Xiaolu said...

Yum! I love how little oil there is in this. A great reason to make it from scratch (among many reasons)

Katherine Elizabeth Dominguez said...

You have great food ideas! I'm a lover of creative food as well, and like to post as many recipes on my blog as possible! (im still new)
If you're ever looking for something to try, come and take a look!

-Katherine

www.byKatherineElizabeth.com

mjskit said...

I was looking for some granola recipes. I love this one! The words "perfectly crunchy" caught my attention. The combination of wet ingredients make it for me.

eatme_delicious said...

mjskit: Hope you enjoy it! It's the best crunchy granola I've tried making. :)