Friday, July 29, 2011

Sweet and Spicy Cashew Tofu


I believe cashews improve all stir fries so it's no surprise that I love this sweet and spicy cashew tofu stir fry with 1 1/2 cups cashews! My mom probably started making this recipe around 10 years ago and I'm still enjoying it - though I have now replaced the chicken with tofu.

I hope all you Canadians have a great long weekend! I'll be working on some reports to finish my training and certification. Hopefully I can finish them in time to enjoy some of the nice weather we've finally been having!

If this sounds good, you might also like:
Broccoli Cashew Teriyaki Tofu Stir-Fry
Salt & Pepper Tofu
Szechuan Tofu Triangles in Triple Pepper Sauce
Kung Pao Noodles with Peanuts and Wok Fried Vegetables

Sweet and Spicy Cashew Tofu
Adapted from The Best of The Best and More

Serves 4-6

Sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
4 tsp reduced sodium soy sauce
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp vegan worcestershire sauce
3 tbsp sugar
1/2 tbsp sesame oil
1/2 cup vegetable broth

The Rest
1 pkg extra firm tofu (~350 g)
1 tbsp oil
2 1/2 tbsp minced fresh ginger
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 small onion, chopped
2 red bell peppers, cut in strips
2 carrots, thinly sliced on diagonal
2 cups snow peas, cut in 2 inch pieces
1 1/2 cups cashews
Sprinkling of sesame seeds

Combine sauce ingredients and set aside in a bowl. Heat wok or frying pan to highest heat. Add oil. Heat to hot, not smoking. Add tofu, ginger, garlic, and onion. Stir about 1 minute. Add peppers and carrots. Stir 2-3 minutes. Add peas and sauce. Cook until sauce comes to a boil. Add cashews and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve immediately.

3 comments:

Joanne said...

I love a good cashew stir fry! This sounds super tasty!

Shaheen said...

Cashew and tofu - this is a combo I haven't tried. Thanks for introducing it to me.

Xiaolu said...

Sounds like a dish both my bf and I would enjoy immensely. I'm honestly happy with most things that have tofu in them 8)