Thursday, June 16, 2011

Chuck's Favourite Mac and Cheese


From the picture, this looks like it could be some sort of sweet crumbley bar, but it's a slice of macaroni and cheese! I've heard about macaroni and cheese made with cottage cheese but have never tried it. I had some leftover in my fridge (I never buy cottage cheese), so knew it was my opportunity to try it out! I found this super simple recipe that combines cheddar cheese, cottage cheese and sour cream with pasta, then is baked with buttery panko on top. It was amazing! Not something I'd make all the time as it's not the healthiest, but we both really enjoyed it. It's good reheated but not as good as when you first make it, so I would half the recipe if you think you'll have a ton of leftovers.

If this sounds good, you might also like:
Mediterranean Macaroni and Cheese
Asparagus and Pea Pasta with Ricotta and Tarragon
Portabello Fettuccine with Spinach Pesto, Roasted Peppers & Romano Cheese
Audrey's Deluxe Mac & Cheese with Crispy Pine-Nut Herb Crust

Chuck's Favorite Mac and Cheese
Adapted from MRSO at AllRecipes

8 oz macaroni
8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated
12 oz small curd cottage cheese
8 oz sour cream
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup panko
1/4 cup butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add pasta, and cook until done; drain.

In 9x13 inch baking dish, stir together macaroni, shredded Cheddar cheese, cottage cheese, sour cream, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. In a small bowl, mix together bread crumbs and melted butter. Sprinkle topping over macaroni mixture.

Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until top is golden.

7 comments:

janet @ the taste space said...

i never used cottage cheese either except for blintzes. I hear you can put it in oatmeal, too?

Anyways, this reminds me of my favourite dishes growing up: Baked Tortellini with Three Cheeses from a 1991 Canadian Living cookbook.

http://www.foodmanitoba.ca/recipe/1262/baked_tortellini_with_three_cheeses.aspx

That recipe is so similar, but we use less butter (2 tbsp) and omitted the breadcrumbs. We always used to fight over the crispy tortellini! Yum!

But yeah, sadly I don't make it anymore... but it was super tasty. :)

Joanne said...

I've had my doubts about this cottage cheese mac n' cheese business as well...but if you say it's good then I trust you!

Hannah said...

I only just tried baked macaroni and cheese for the first time recently, and I was rather impressed! Yours looks nice and crunchy on top, just the way it should be.

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

Mmm looks so good! Actually tasted a similar mac & cheese (Alton Brown's recipe) at my friend's party. Love the crunch of panko. That recipe had a tiny bit of sauteed onion in the pasta, too, which added great flavor.

Jannett said...

I love mac and cheese... looks delicious..I have not put cottage cheese in it before..it sounds really interesting... great photo

Johanna GGG said...

Wow that looks intense in a good way (isn't mac and cheese always good) - I tried a mac and cheese with cottage cheese once but added veg and dill etc and quite enjoyed it

Jacy said...

Ooh yum! If it wasn't midnight, I'd be in the kitchen making this like right now!