Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Coconut Oatmeal Cookies


According to the notes I wrote on this recipe, these cookies are "super perfect awesome"! They have a soft and chewy middle and crisp outside. I loved the texture, and coconut and oats are one of my favourite cookie combinations. However I did find the cookies really dry after 3 days, so these are best eaten on day 1 and 2. You can see in the picture that I flattened some of the cookies and left some as little balls. I preferred them flattened but both ways are good!

If these sound good, you might also like:
Cowboy Cookies
Coconut Shortbread
Chocolate Oatmeal Coconut Cookies
Matcha Coconut Madeleines
Coconut Madeleines

Coconut Oatmeal Cookies
Adapted from The Best of The Best and More

1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup unsweetened coconut

Cream butter and sugars. Add egg and beat well. Mix in flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until just blended. Stir in oats and coconut. Roll into 1" balls and flatten a bit with your hands. (If your dough is wet enough, you can flatten the balls with a fork - my dough was dry so I couldn't.) Bake at 350F for 12-15 minutes. (If you make the cookies smaller, check at 8-9 minutes).

9 comments:

Joanne said...

I love coconut so I'm sure these cookies wouldn't last past two days! Delicious!

kickpleat said...

oatmeal coconut cookies are my favorite! will have to give this recipe a try. bookmarking!

Jacy said...

Mmm those look amazing! I drool over nearly every recipe you post... keep it up :)

Mel said...

Hi Ashley, just stopping by to pass on a stylish blogger award - http://veganisethis.blogspot.com/2011/06/stylish-blogger-award.html

I have really loved a couple of soup recipes I have made from your blog!

Mal said...

Any idea on how it would work to use honey in place of the white sugar? These look amazing!

grace said...

two of these would lend themselves very nicely to some cinnamon ice cream squished between them... :)

kimberleyblue said...

I love it when coconut is added to desserts...it makes anything sound more interesting. I'd certainly eat a ton of these cookies.

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

Mmm sounds like an awesome combination -- I'm glad the coconut is unsweetened as the sweet version is a bit overbearing IMO.

Three-Cookies said...

You have wonderful recipes. I love coconut and you have a few delicious recipes. I sometimes make a similar coconut oat cookie called ANZAC. Oat and coconut is wonderful