Thursday, July 22, 2010

Southwest Brunch Bake


In addition to the flatbread with caramelized onions and brie and blackberry orange tea scones, I made this southwest brunch bake as part of the mother's day breakfast for dinner! (Yes I really need to catch up on my posts.) It's super easy to put together, basically just stirring hashbrowns, black beans, corn, red pepper and onion. Then cheese on top, then pour egg & milk mixture on top.


It's a great dish to have in your repertoire because you can make it beforehand then bake it when you need it - good for breakfast or for a weeknight dinner on a night when you don't have time to cook. I liked the dish the way it was, but I think the flavour could be kicked up a bit. Maybe more onion or a stronger cheese? I didn't add the cilantro so that would help bring more flavour too.


Abby, just chillin.



If this sounds good, you might also like:
Savoury Vegetable Cheesecake
Butternut Squash Casserole
Tomato and Corn Pie
Squash and Aged White Cheddar Tart with Sage and Roasted Garlic Custard

Southwest Brunch Bake
Adapted from The Best of The Best and More

I left out the 2 tbsp cilantro and 1/4 tsp cayenne because I wasn't sure how well cilantro would go over with my family and didn't want it to be spicy for my niece. So feel free to add those back in if they sound good to you!

Serves 6-8

4 cups frozen shredded-style hash browns
19 oz can black beans, rinsed & drained
1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
1 red pepper, chopped
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
8 eggs
1 1/4 cups milk
1/2 tsp salt

Spray 9"x13" baking dish with cooking spray. Mix potatoes, beans, corn, red pepper and onion in baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Beat eggs, milk and salt until well blended. Pour evenly over potato mixture. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours but no longer than 24 hours.

Heat oven to 350F and bake, uncovered, 55-60 minutes, or until knife inserted in center come sout clean. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.

9 comments:

Joanne said...

This sounds super yummy to me! But I'm a sucker for anything that involves hash browns. I think some sharp cheddar or some pepperjack would go really well in here!

Sara Tea said...

Wow. This looks so incredible. I love breakfast with a "SW" flare.

grace said...

i like my food spicy regardless of the hour, and this makes a breakfast worth getting up for!

Dana said...

This is the kind of dish I can't be trusted around. Black beans and eggs and hash browns sounds just about perfect.

Pam Walter said...

Have been looking for an egg-type casserole to serve to guests, and this looks very promising. Thanks! http://blog.sweetservices.com/sweetscandyblog/

Johanna GGG said...

this always sounds delicious and nutritious but I balk at the number of eggs

Anonymous said...

I don't usually go for casseroles, but you're making me wish I did more brunch affairs anyway!

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

Love hearty baked breakfast casseroles like this. My boyfriend would totally make me make this if he saw it 8).

Deborah said...

I love breakfast for dinner, and this would be a great breakfast for dinner!!