Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Chocolate Chunk Vanilla Muffins

I don't usually watch really any of the Olympics but since it's in Vancouver I'm watching as much as I can! And learning lots of interesting things about the different sports and athletes. We went and saw the cauldron/torch and next week will go check out the Olympic village. So much is going on in Vancouver right now!


I love chocolate chip muffins but never buy them or make them because I guess I want to pretend that muffins are healthy, and if there's chocolate in there it makes it a bit harder! But I wanted to bake something to bring to friends with a new baby, and who doesn't like chocolate muffins? These ones were yummy and soft. I love coarse sugar on top of muffins, mmm. My only disappointment was that they didn't taste more strongly of vanilla so next time I would add more.

If this sounds good, you might also like:
Orange Cream Cheese Muffins
Snickerdoodle Muffins
Orange Berry Muffins
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins

Chocolate Chunk Vanilla Muffins
Adapted from Great Coffee Cakes, Sticky Buns, Muffins & More

Makes 12 muffins

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour, spooned in and leveled (I used 197 g.)
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, slightly firm
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
3.5 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped

4 tsp coarse sugar

1. Position the rack in the lower third of the oven. Preheat the oven to 375F. Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners, or grease the pans.

2. In a large bowl, thoroughly whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.

3. Place the butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the vanilla and mix on medium speed until smooth and lightened in colour, about 1 minute.

4. Add the granulated sugar and mix for 1 minute longer. Scrape down the side of the bowl. Blend in the eggs, one at a time, and mix for another minute.

5. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the flour mixture alternately with the sour cream, dividing the dry ingredients into two parts, starting and ending with the flour. Mix just until blended after each addition. Fold in the chocolate chunks.

6. Portion the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the top of each muffin with coarse sugar.

7. Bake for 23 to 25 minutes, or until the muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. To ensure even baking, toward the end of baking time, rotate the pans top to bottom and front to back. Remove from the oven and place on a rack to cool.

21 comments:

Renai said...

Ohhhh yum! I'm going to give these a shot tonight! Thanks for the recipe!

Rachael said...

These look delicious!

Memória said...

These muffins look delicious! I wonder if adding vanilla bean seeds or vanilla paste would strengthen the vanilla flavor. YUM!

Anonymous said...

I love choc chunk studded vanilla muffins more than chocolate on chocolate muffins They look big, sturdy, fat and downright yummy. :)

Steph said...

The ratio of ingredients make these seem more like cupcakes, but we can call them muffins to make them seem healthier..hehe.

FH said...

Vanilla and Chocolates, great combo.

Hannah said...

What a tempting idea! I'd sure love a chocolate chip muffin right about now...

grace said...

the raw sugar on top is the clincher--excellent muffins!!

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Beautiful muffins! You could try using vanilla sugar for the 1 cup of sugar to pump up the vanilla flavor.

Have fun at the Olympics!

Unknown said...

You might try adding banana or canned pumpkin to pump up the nutrient value and taste!

Anonymous said...

Try adding a banana or canned pumpkin to pump the nutrient value. Reduce your liquids and sugar by half first.

Johanna GGG said...

These look great for building up the strength of someone with a new baby - and fwho wouldn't love them - I know one person who doesn't like chocolate but that is just freakish, right?

CookiePie said...

They look great, and I love the vanilla/chocolate combo! And they're healthy... chocolate is good for you, right? Right??

Sook said...

Yum yum! Love chocolate in muffins!!

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Mmmmmm, lovely! I am always in favour of chocolate! I am a firm believer that it is good for you :)

Chef Fresco said...

These look delicious! I like the addition of vanilla. I am watching more olympics than usual this year as well. Curling, for example, what a strange sport!

Lot-O-Choc said...

Wow these look so good!! Giving me serious cravings hehe!

PilatesChick said...

Such a nice recipe. I swapped the sour craem for buttermilk and the chocolate for blueberries. Vanilla and blueberry muffins = supreme comfort food. Thank you.

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

I've never used sour cream in a muffin recipe before, so I suppose it's kinda like yogurt but richer mm. This looks pretty awesome, I must say :).

kimberleyblue said...

Chocolate chip muffins are always so easy to whip up and a great snack or breakfast. I'm always looking for the best recipe...my mom makes the best ones, and I have yet to find a recipe that compares.

I find a touch of cinnamon combined with the coarse sugar on top is always a nice touch.

Colleen said...

I love any baked good with sour cream - looks delicious!