Monday, October 19, 2009

Chocolate Walnut Yogurt Muffins


When I saw these double chocolate yogurt muffins on Cookie Madness, I knew I had to try making them. I love yogurt in baked goods. I wanted to try making them healthier though so I changed a bunch of stuff. Now that I'm looking over the recipe, I'm thinking maybe I should've added more liquid to compensate for the sugar and butter I took out (well I replaced sugar with maple syrup and butter with oil, and reduced both amounts). But they turned out nice and soft when I made them. Next time I'll add more cocoa powder to make them more chocolatey. These muffins are a healthier version of a chocolatey bready baked good, but if that's not your thing then check out this coco-nana bread I made not too long ago.

If this sounds good, you might also like:
Banana Peanut Butter Oatmeal Muffins
Strawberry Lemon Sunflower Seed Muffins
Whole Wheat Orange Spice Muffins
Applesauce-Oat Bran Muffins

Chocolate Walnut Yogurt Muffins
Adapted from Cookie Madness

1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup oil
1 cup yogurt, vanilla flavoured or plain
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour (215 g)
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup walnuts, chopped

Preheat oven to 350F. Line a muffin tin with paper muffin cups.

Stir maple sugar and oil together in a medium size bowl. Add yogurt, egg and vanilla and stir until thoroughly blended.

Combine flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. Add yogurt mixture to flour mixture, stirring only until blended. Fold in walnuts. Spoon batter into greased muffin tins and bake for 22-25 minutes.

Makes 12

20 comments:

grace said...

what's that maple syrup doing in there, besides being awesome? great recipe--the results look perfectly moist and still properly sturdy.

Tia said...

ooh i love yogurt muffins. theyre always so moist and tasty. thx for this recipe!

kimberleyblue said...

I don't often bake with yogurt, and I rarely try to make things healthier. Kudos to you for being the healthier cook! :)

These sound really nice -muffins with nuts and chocolate, it's pretty hard to beat!

Steph said...

The look pretty good! I like the cracked tops. I've wanted to try a chocolate muffin for a long time, but most seem like to be leaning towards being too much like a cupcake.

Anh said...

Thanks for this. I am always on the look out for healthier baked goods!

Velva said...

These chocolate muffins look absolutely delicious!
Very nice!

Divine appointment said...

Hi, this is one of the healthy muffins recipe i ever would try. Thumbs up! thanks for sharing your recipe.

Tia said...

have you got a post for carole walter's orange cr cheese muffins? if not, i'd love to see one :)

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Why does chocolate in a muffin sound so much healthier than chocolate in a cookie? I'll have a muffin to munch while I ponder that.

Juliana said...

Yogurt muffins! Never had a chance to try them...yours look yummie with cocoa :-)

tytty said...

i like making recipes healthier too. but do you, like me, find that sometimes you don't achieve the nice brown top like full fat muffins have, or they don't peel off nicely from the muffin wrap

i think it's a matter of finding the max you can reduce without sacrificing the above

cheers :)

eatme_delicious said...

tia: Yup it's here http://www.eatmedelicious.com/2009/04/orange-cream-cheese-muffins-with-pepita.html

tytty: Yea healthy muffins tend to stick more for me too and they never have nice crispy brown tops (or if they do have brown tops they're not that nice muffin top). But I just accept those things as characteristics of healthy muffins! =)

Pierre Corneille said...

my favorite muffins are those made with yogurt. and yours look sooo good.

theUngourmet said...

I love healthy muffin recipes. These look wonderful. I like that you used maple syrup to sweeten these. :D

Pam said...

These look AMAZING. My kids would gobble them up.

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

With maple syrup you can't go wrong. My son would love those :)

Chef Fresco said...

This look nice and healthy and delicious!

Hannah said...

Oh, yum! These sound right up my alley... Just replace the egg with maybe some applesauce or banana, and now we're talking! Thanks for sharing this recipe. :)

Anna said...

Muffin recipes are so fun to play with. Also, did I ever tell you how much I like the layout and colors of your blog? It's easy on the eyes.

Amy said...

Mmm you already know I'm in love with muffins, I'm sure!! These are definitely no exception! Yum!!

(PS. Just wanted to check you got my email about the sausages?)