Friday, September 25, 2009

Garden Harvest Cake


I saw this cake on Cookie Madness a while ago and knew I had to make it. It's full of lots of yummy things like apple, carrot, zucchini, cinnamon and walnuts! And it's pretty healthy too. I was definitely not disappointed with the results. The cake was so tasty and moist, and reminded me of carrot cake mmmm. Next time I'd like to try reducing the sugar even more (the original recipe calls for 3/4 cup and I cut it back to 1/2 cup) and try using maple syrup or another natural sweetener instead. Maybe cut back the oil a bit too?

Yaey for Friday and the weekend being here! Hope you all have a good weekend. I'm loving watching the leaves change colour.

If this sounds good, you might also like:
Banana Peanut Butter Oatmeal Muffins
Whole Wheat Orange Spice Muffins
Pumpkin Pecan Raisin Muffins
Chocolate Strawberry Loaf

Garden Harvest Cake
Adapted from Cooking Light, April 2009

1 cup whole wheat flour (130 g)
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup grated peeled Granny Smith apple (about 1 medium)
1/2 cup grated carrot (about 1 medium)
1/2 cup shredded zucchini
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup soy milk + 3/4 tsp vinegar (original recipe calls for 1/4 cup lowfat buttermilk)
2 large eggs
Cooking spray

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.

2. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and the next 4 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add grated apple, grated carrot, shredded zucchini, and walnuts to flour mixture; toss well. Combine soy milk and vinegar together. Add in canola oil and eggs, stirring with a whisk. Add egg mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until combined.

3. Spoon batter into an 8 x 4–inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove cake from pan. Cool completely on wire rack before slicing.

21 comments:

Steph said...

That looks like a nice and healthy loaf! I tend to reduce the sugar in almost everything I bake because it's always too sweet. I've never tried baking with syrups though.

Johanna GGG said...

lovely autumn colours in this cake

Anh said...

I love the name and everything else about this loaf!

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

This is from CL. I like their recipes. That looks healthy and delicious.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

AWESOME, awesome bread. Yum!

I love fall for the same reason :)

Ricki said...

Looks great! I bet it would be fantastic with maple syrup for part (or all) of the sweetener, too.

Pam Walter said...

You mention that it's moist, but it actually looks a bit dry to me. Is that just the photo? http://blog.sweetservices.com/sweetscandyblog/

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Wow, I feel healthier just looking at the picture of this loaf and reading the recipe. It looks like a great way to kick off fall.

eatme_delicious said...

Pam Walter: Yes it was nice and moist. =)

Tia said...

i don't think it looks dry at all! it sounds like something you could eat guilt free - I like that :)

kickpleat said...

Wow, this looks amazing!! I've been wanting to make a carrot loaf for awhile now, but this looks so much better. I'm bookmarking this one for sure.

Snooky doodle said...

what a nice looking cake! surely it is with all those marvelous ingredients :)

Amy said...

Mmmm! Looks delicious and pretty!!

CookiePie said...

YUM - that looks so delicious!! Love all the colors. I think maple syrup is a fabulous idea!

Liz said...

Miam! This looks yummy and sooo healthy, I really like it!

grace said...

what an apt name for this loaf. really, the flecks of color throughout are reminiscent of the colors of the changing leaves. very cool, very tasty, very nice.

Amanda said...

I made these this morning as muffins and they were great - thanks for sharing!

Hannah said...

I love these sorts of quick breads for breakfast- Because they're full of healthy vegetables, I don't need to feel as guilty about it! ;)

Deborah said...

Wow - that is stuffed full of all kinds of good stuff!

Anna said...

Nice photo! Thanks for posting the recipe because I had zucchini cake on my mind. I tried a piece at Tartine that was similar to this, but absolutely bursting with fruit and nuts. I kind of like the idea of stuffing the zucchini cake with so many nuts and fruit that there's very little cake. I might try it with this recipe.

Homemade Heaven said...

Now that is a health food I can indulge in - very hungry for a slice with my morning coffee.