Friday, September 18, 2009

Banana Peanut Butter Oatmeal Muffins


As I've mentioned before, I get kind of sick of banana loaf, banana muffins, and bananas in baking in general - not because I don't like bananas (I eat one pretty much everyday) but because I guess they're not exciting to me anymore. However, I've been obsessed with the idea of peanut butter and banana in a muffin together. So I made these muffins which are exciting, fairly healthy and excellent. They're really moist, don't have a too distinct whole wheat flavour, and the banana and peanut butter flavours are well balanced.


Abby loves laying on her back and sprawling out like this. When we walk by she'll roll over a bit to reach out her paw to try and grab us.


If this sounds good, you might also like:
Roast Banana-Pumpkin Breakfast Bread
Banana Crunch Muffins
Mom's Banana Apple Bread
Whole Wheat Orange Spice Muffins

Banana Peanut Butter Oatmeal Muffins
Adapted from Baking Bites

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (207 g)
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
3/4 cup mashed banana (about 2 med.)
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
1 cup light buttermilk

Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, oatmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In a medium bowl, whisk together vegetable oil, brown sugar, eggs, mashed banana, peanut butter and buttermilk until very smooth, making sure all egg has been well-incorporated. Pour into flour mixture and stir until no streaks of flour remain.
Divide batter evenly into prepared muffin tin, filling each just about up to the top.
Bake for 16-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and the top springs back when lightly pressed.
Remove muffins from tin and cool on a wire rack.

Makes 12.

37 comments:

Jen (Running With Cake) said...

Wow - this includes everything that I love - peanut butter, bananas, and oats! Only thing that would make it better would be mini chocolate chips! This is definitely on my list to make.

Johanna GGG said...

after my first peanut butter and banana sandwich last weekend I think I need to make these!

Sara said...

Banana and peanut butter is one of my all time fave combinations. Yum

Alisa - Frugal Foodie said...

mmm, breakfast-worthy but indulgent; I love it!

Abby MUST be an indoor cat! Reminds me of our own :)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Holy yum muffins!! And adorable Abby :)

kimberleyblue said...

Sounds like a great combination, peanut butter and bananas - like the sandwich! I'm allergic to peanuts though, so I'll have to just imagine...

Snooky doodle said...

these look good. I love peanut butter and banana, Nice breakfast food :)

Unknown said...

An intriguing combination!! They look great :)

grace said...

a little peanut butter goes a long way when it comes to banana breads and cakes. these muffins look great since i, too, get really sick of the typical banana loaf.
and wow, "sprawling out" is putting it loosely--she's adorable!

Amy said...

I'm always a fan of muffins!!! And always a fan of peanut butter so these just sound like heaven!

Pam said...

Anything with peanut butter makes me happy! They look super delicious.

Anonymous said...

those do look yummy. i think long would love 'em. he loves anything w/ pb n bananas.

Anonymous said...

oh, and Abby is still so darn cute. so cuddle-able.

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Mmmmm, lovely and I do adore your cat :)

Shelby said...

Sounds great to me!! I think the kitty is so cute...if she were to reach out at me I'd probably have to stop and rub her belly. ;-)

Sarah S. said...

ok so I think I'm going to give these a whirl! question: is this similar to banana bread in the sense that it is best if the bananas are very ripe/overripe? or did you just use average ripened bananas?

eatme_delicious said...

The Ordinary Vegetarian: Well personally I HATE the flavour of super overripe bananas, so I just use regular ripened ones that are maybe slightly too ripe. But if you like using really overripe bananas in your baking I'd try that. Let me know how they turn out!

Chef Fresco said...

I love your addition of PB in here! Looks amazing!

CookiePie said...

Those look great! Perfect breakfast.

Jennifer said...

Now these are my kind of muffins!!! I love banana and peanut butter in anything! Muffins is great, Im saving this recipe :)

Phoo-D said...

Mmm..this sounds terrific! I love peanut butter and bananas together. Your kitty is super cute!

Anonymous said...

I made these last night and they were alright but pretty dry and I couldn't really taste the banana even though my bananas were really ripe.

eatme_delicious said...

Anonymous: Sorry to hear they turned out dry! Maybe try adding more banana next time? Another 1/4 or 1/2 cup? When I made the muffins they weren't moist/wet like banana bread, just moist like nice muffins.

Hilary said...

Banana and peanut butter is one of my favourite combinations (literally, a banana smeared in peanut butter is heaven to me) so I would love these.

Sarah S. said...

The verdict is in, yum!! These were so easy, really seemed to be fool proof for a non-baker like myself.

Anonymous said...

do you cook the oatmeal first, or just put the uncooked oats in?

eatme_delicious said...

maggieccb: No don't cook the oatmeal, just add it. =)

Anonymous said...

Also, are these muffins pretty healthy?

eatme_delicious said...

maggieccb: I think they are. You can reduce the amount of sugar to 1/4 cup if you want. Your muffin will be a bit drier but maybe you can add some extra banana to make up for it.

Ashley Hayne said...

These are seriously the best muffins ever!! I didnt have any eggs so I made flax eggs. omg I will be making these for a long time. I definitely addicted.

Kristie said...

yeah these were pretty great. really enjoyed how they weren't super sweet. I also threw some walnuts and ground flaxseed into them. Oh, and I replaced peanut butter with almond butter because that was what I had at the moment.

eatme_delicious said...

Kristie: Glad you liked them! Love the idea to add walnuts and flax seeds!

Thrift Store Mama said...

Was tickled to find this recipe under my google search for "peanut butter oatmeal muffins healthy." I'm glad I've found yet another use for the 12 frozen ripe bananas in my freezer.

Michelle said...

I saw these and knew I had to make them because I absolutely love the peanut butter / banana combo. I made some slight alterations with what I had on hand - a mixture of spelt and wholewheat flour; coconut oil (and 2 tsp instead of tbsp because I didn't read properly) and plain yoghurt instead of buttermilk.

Thanks for the inspiration

Jess said...

Just made these for brunch this morning and they turned out lovely! Very light and moist, with a delicate banana-peanut butter flavour. Not as strong a banana taste as I expected, especially as my bananas were super ripe. The other half recommends that I add chocolate chips next time, although I told him that negates the attempt at healthy-ness!

eatme_delicious said...

Jess: Glad you enjoyed them! My husband is always wanting to add chocolate chips to everything too haha.

Liz Harrell said...

i made it with honey instead of brown sugar because we're not really using processed sugars much these days. overall, the flavor was mild and tasty. bf had one fresh out of the oven and the face he was priceless! i also didn't use natural peanutbutter and ditched the salt.