Monday, December 22, 2008

Curried Sweet Potato Soup


This soup was really really awesome. I've recently started to make soup a lot more often again because the weather has been getting colder and it's a good easy way to eat a healthy meal full of lots of vegetables and stuff. As soon as I saw this soup in the October Shape magazine, I knew I had to make it. Red peppers, kale (or some other leafy green), sweet potato, beans, curry and coconut milk. Sounded like it would be the perfect soup and for me it was. And not only is it full of deliciously delicious things, it's super easy to make. This is my new favourite soup and one of my new favourite meals. Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to make it again in the daylight to get a better photo though...

If this sounds good, you might also like:
Sweet Potato Badi
Beet, Barley and Black Bean Soup
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili
Choklay's Tibetan Lentil Soup

Curried Sweet Potato Soup
Adapted from October 2008 Shape Magazine

My soup ended up being quite thick so you might want to add extra vegetable broth if you want to thin it out.

1 large sweet potato
3/4 cup canned light coconut milk
2 1/4 cups vegetable broth
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and diced into 1/2 inch pieces
1 1/2 tsp curry powder
19 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 packed cups coarsely chopped kale (or other leafy green like baby spinach)
1/4 tsp sea salt (you might want to add more salt, I always put less than recommended)

Microwave sweet potato on high for 4 to 6 minutes or until very tender. Split potato in half with a knife. Use a pot holder to hold each half and scoop pulp into a soup pot; discard skin.

Add coconut milk and mash with a potato masher or fork until mixture is fairly smooth. Stir in broth, bell pepper, and curry powder. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.

Stir in beans and heat all the way through. Stir in leafy greens; keep stirring until just wilted. Stir in salt.

17 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

BEYOND tantalizing - I'm a sweet potato fanatic :-)

Anonymous said...

I love sweet potatoes, too, and I think the coconut milk in this would be fabulous. And soup is the perfect winter meal!

Have a great holiday! :)

Lisa said...

This soup sounds fantastic! Yesterday I made African Sweet Potato and Peanut Soup from It's All Gouda and I loved the warm and unusual combination of flavors. Your recipe would make a great second act. I'm learning that sweet potatoes are really amazing vegetables!

Anonymous said...

What an interesting combination! I've never had anything like this before, but it looks so delicious I really want to give it a try!

grace said...

sounds like a great blend of ingredients, perfect to help a person deal with this foul weather we've been having. i'm loving your bowl, too. :)

Maria said...

Sweet potatoes and curry. What a great pair! Looks fantastic!

mimi said...

this sounds lovely! i have a can of coconut milk in the pantry, love to use it for this soup!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm... that sounds so delicious and comforting and I want some now! Haha. Thanks for sharing the recipe
Have some great holidays!

Steph said...

I'm not a crazy soup eater, but I love sweet potato!

Fitness Foodie said...

Great looking soup. I have some sweet potatoes to use up and I think it will be for soup.

Joanna said...

the kale is an interesting ingredient. it must taste amazing. i remember the first time i had kale was in this bacon and pasta dish. it was incredible!!

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

Looks so tempting this soup.

Merry Christmas!

Gigi said...

I love sweet potatoes. And it has been cold here lately. I think a nice pot of soup is in order. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Anonymous said...

Hi

Where to you bought your vegetable broth as i saw most of your soup have dat ingredient?

eatme_delicious said...

Anonymous: You can buy vegetable broth at any grocery store in the soup section. Or you can make your own!

Danie said...

I was curious...as is, how many servings did this soup make? And what would you consider a serving? I want to make this for a dinner I'm attending at a friend's house later this week, but there will be six people so, if I need to double (or triple!) the recipe, I'd like to be able to plan ahead. Thanks!

eatme_delicious said...

Danie: Sorry I somehow missed this comment! I hope that the soup turned out well for you. I can't remember how many servings it makes but the original recipe says 4.