Friday, November 30, 2007

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Scones


First off, thank you to all the lovely people that have been commenting on my posts! I haven't had a chance to visit all of your blogs yet since finals are starting to suck away more of my time, but I will definitely be visiting them. Now on to the food! I came across these peanut butter chocolate chip scones on Baking Bites and was immediately intrigued. Many months ago my friend mentioned a peanut butter bagel, and ever since then I've been dreaming of peanut butter bread-y things, so I knew I had to make these.


They're incredibly easy to make and turned out just perfectly. Crispy outsides, soft insides, a cross between a scone and a biscuit. The scones aren't as peanut butter-y as a cookie would be but the taste and smell are definitely there. And who doesn't love chocolate chips in baked goods? The dough is made in a food processor (how much easier can it be than that?) and uses milk instead of cream so I can feel slightly good about eating them. And some of the all purpose flour can easily be replaced with whole wheat flour, without changing the texture.


The recipe is written to make 16 mini scones, which I didn't realize at first. If I had then I might have just cut them into bigger pieces but I'm glad that I didn't. Making them mini means more crispy edges, which I love, and a perfect little size treat. And even better, the edges on the scones stay crispy until the second day (whereas usually I find scones will become completely soft the next day).

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Scones
slightly modified from Baking Bites

Makes 16 scones.

2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tbsp paking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
10 tbsp butter, cold and cut into 10 pieces
4 tbsp natural peanut butter
1 1/8 cup milk (1 c + 2 tbsp)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In the bowl of a food processor, combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Pulse to combine. Add butter and peanut butter and pulse a few times, until mixture resembles very large, coarse crumbs. Add mini chocolate chips.

Combine milk and vanilla extract. With the motor of the food processor running, pour in milk. Stop when the dough starts to come together into a ball. Try not to run the food processor any more than necessary.

Divide dough into three or four pieces and pat each piece into a circle on a lightly floured surface. Cut each circle of dough into 4 or 5 pieces, to make 16 triangular scones. Place on prepared baking sheet.

Bake for 16-20 minutes at 400F, until light golden brown.

Cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container if not eating right away.
The scones are best within two days of baking.

Notes: Make sure not to add too much milk otherwise the dough will be too wet. When mixing the dough in the food processor, stop it periodically to make sure that everything is mixing properly (I found that the dough was gooey on the bottom and crumbly on top if I didn't stick a spatula in there and mix things up).

13 comments:

Amy said...

Oh dear, you've combined 2 of my favouritist foods ever so now I'm going to HAVE to cook these. I have no choice. Yum!!!!

Chibog in Chief said...

hello eat me delicious, im glad to discover your site! you know why, last month my husband bought a can of peanut butter, he was thinking of making some cookies..unfortunately he couldnt find neither the can opener neither his cookbook..so for weeks the peanut butter is resting in our kitchen..this morning i bought a new can opener and i discover your blog..what a coincidence right..hehehe anyhow, believe it or not its true...the rest for me now is to convince him to give me his peanut butter :-)..great blog site you have here , will visit you often

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

As I read the title of this post, my jaw dropped to the floor - peanut butter?!?!??! **swoons** and of COURSE I'm thinking more of a peanut butter/carob combination here ;0)

so thrilled to hear that the scones turned out perfectly!! the recipe looks fabulous; and can be easily veganized!! yay!! :0D

oh and I saw your lovely comment on my Thanksgiving post (thanks!): you didn't read anything wrong :0)

Katie Zeller said...

Oh I like this... I make savory scones (garlic) but have never made sweet. And peanut butter and chocolate.... oh yeah!

Bev and Ollie "O" said...

Oh I LOVE peanut butter! It's incredibly frustrating that Belgians do not eat it so much, today at the supermarket my onlt option was smooth, and I wanted crunchy! (honestly, I nearly had a tantrum right there in the aisle!)
These look so yummy!mmmmmm

ps

I made an icing (frosting) for the Earl Grey cookies, just icing sugar and pure orange juice, then pread on, it was very good, I'll try and remember to add an uodated piccie tomorrow. x

Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen said...

Oh yum! Those look so good! We just had the crispy edge conversation yesterday in my family. I am definitely a fan of the crispy edges!

Cookie baker Lynn said...

These look like wonderful treats! How can you go wrong with peanut butter and chocolate?

kickpleat said...

wow, i so want to make these right away! actually, i just might! yum.

Carla said...

Oh I definitely have to try these!! Who can resist chocolate and peanut butter combined?

Unknown said...

These look so good! I'm going to bookmark them and at some point when I go looking for a scone/biscuit recipe, I'll try them. Looks WONDERFUL!

Clumsy Cook said...

PB, chocolate chips, and the end product of a scone?!? Now that's just perfect!!

Cakespy said...

This is some ridiculous pleasure overload. I don't know if I could make these though because they'd be eaten in the batter stage. Sigh.

eatme_delicious said...

vegetation: Haha hope they turn out well for you. :)

dhanggit: You're so sweet. :) I hope you were successful in convincing him to give you his peanut butter!

veggiegirl: I have only had carob maybe once or twice but didn't really like it. I should give it another chance.

katiez: Ohh garlic scones sound yummy!

bev: Maybe you could try making your own peanut butter, and leave it a little crunchy? Oh an icing on those cookies sounds intriguing.

sarena: Mmm crispy edges.

cookie: Indeed. Except for some reason I don't like peanut butter cups. Though I bet homemade ones would be really good.

kickpleat: Hope you like them!

carla: Very true. :)

claire: Thanks!

clumsy cook: Haha yes it is quite perfect.

cakespy: Haha I'm not sure how good the batter would taste for scones...